Friday, February 28, 2014

Kafer and Crusty and Kra'vak...Oh My!

Okay, some questions for the esteemed readers of this blog...are the Crusties I see on the Ground Zero Games website basically Kafers from 2300 A.D?  If so, then would not the Ground Zero Kra'vak vehicles make more sense to use with the Crusty infantry than the Crusty vehicles?  Those Kra'vak heavy grav tanks and APCs certainly look like a Deathsled representation from 2300 A.D. to me.  So, would one use Crusty infantry with Kra'vak vehicles to represent the Kafers?

Or, are the Kra'vak a closer representation of Kafers?  The pictures of the Kra'vak infantry on the Ground Zero site are too small to be useful.  If the Kra'vak are the Kafers, then the vehicles make more sense!

As for the Marshborn Crusties in Tomorrow's War, are they not supposed to be Tomorrow's War version of Kafers?  And why didn't Ambush Alley Games, in their By Dagger or Talon supplement, expand on the Crusties as opposed to introducing an entire new alien race?  And would one think that the Kafers/Crusties would live in elevated homes, like the Marshborn Crusties do in TW?  I love the way those GameCraft Miniatures buildings look, but Kafers in 2300 A.D. (if Kafers and Crusties are one and the same) came from a planet that was so hot as to be unbearable for human life...doubting if they would have elevated homes!  But, if the GZG Crusties are NOT Kafers, then these questions are moot!

See, I told you I had questions!  I guess I am one of those who likes to follow a canonical approach to his sci-fi gaming.  One thing I wish Ambush Alley Games had done was to really give us even more canonical information/background for Tomorrow's War.  I realize they wanted TW to be used for any sci-fi setting, but folks, give me more to go on!  Spoon feed me!

Anyway, if folks can give me some answers or at least offer their opinions, I would appreciate the feedback on my Kafer/Crusty/Kra'vak dilemma!

And before I forget, RAFM is having a 25% off sale on their website.  No details as to how long it may be going on (even if one clicks on the Details box...there are no details to be had), but it is a great chance to pick up the old RAFM Citadel Striker figures for a song, along with those massive grav tanks RAFM has re-released.  Considering that the Striker figures are just as nicely sculpted as anything currently on the market (especially troops wearing armor) taking 25% off of their already reasonable prices is a great deal.  Use code 25OFF when checking out.  I have always had good service from RAFM, so order without hesitation...go on, get over there and order, but be sure to come back here when you have completed placing your order!

11 comments:

  1. The Crusties are not based on the Kafer. They are based on the District 9 Aliens who are nicknamed "Prawn". The Marshborn are Tomorrow's War's adaptation of an existing range from GZG, incorporated into a featured race in their game as part of the Ambush Games/GZG partnership in the miniatures for that game.

    The Kra'Vak are a strange fusion of Predator and Kafer. They were developed at a time when the Kafer were a bit more relevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, District 9...excellent! Okay, that clears it up for me. So if I want Kafer-like figures, the Kra'vak seem the way to go, but I think those figures (the bit I can make out) actually have too much equipment (clthing) to be true Kafer, and their hands do not seem to be the three thumb Kafer anatomy. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. GZG/AA TW Crusties are "Not" District 9 aliens" & not "not" kafers but some people do use them as kafers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would use the Peter Pig LVTP-5 as a Kafer Crawler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting suggestion! I probably need an LVTP regardless, but I cannot seem to find one on the Peter Pig site!

      Delete
  4. Great job on three posts in three days! I try for Wednesdays and Saturdays; have a hard time making that!

    Nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am trying! I find that when I do post, I am more engaged with getting projects worked on.

      Delete
  5. have a look on the Rôt Hafen saga if you want to have an idea about Kra'vaks : http://www.stargrunt.ca/articles_interest/rothafen/rothafen_index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being an old 2300 hand myself, I don't think any manufacturer really does the Kafer. GZGx Kra'Vak (particularly the new sculpts) look like a form of
    Predators, in fact I'm using the Predator Hunters as officers for my Kra'Vak.
    Also using Aphids and Dracon (Armed Dinos by Stan Johansen Miniatures0 AS
    Janissaries for the Kra'Vak empire.....)    
        

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...