Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Oh No - More Purchases!

Venturan Trooper, picture from Eureka USA
I think I am sick, mental, deranged, delusional...it's not that I do not already have plenty of unpainted figures milling about, I just ordered some 15mm Eureka Venturans from Eureka Miniatures USA!  Padded room, here I come!

To be honest, I really like the Eureka figures I have purchased in the past (historicals and the sci-fi Germans).  They are always well-sculpted, proportionally correct, and animated, no matter who the designer may be.  The Venturans in this case look a lot like what I have seen for Traveller's Zhodani, so these will be figures I can see being used for more than just one project.  

My order was small, but with Tomorrow's War I like to keep the amount of figures appearing on the tabletop on the low side.  My tentative TO&E will be as follows:

1 x Officer
1 x Anti-Armor Team
1 x Auto Cannon
4 x Fireteams, each with
   1 x Leader with assault rifle
   2 or 3 x Riflemen with assault rifle
   1 x SAW

The anti-armor team and auto cannon will be optional assets.  The variable fire team size is because of the kneeling figures included with each infantry pack.  I am not a huge fan of kneeling figures if the rest of the team consists of moving and upright poses.

Transport for the Venturans is a question swirling about in my mind.  I do like the Top Gun Marketing vehicles, they have a Zho feel to them.  Some of the Combat Wombat Miniatures grav vehicles look pretty slick as well.  Whatever I settle on should be small enough to be affordable, yet should be able to "hold" 8-10 troopers.  If that is the case then I would need three transport vehicles, one for command and assets, and two for the four fireteams.

The Germans are covered in terms of transports.  I have a few of the very nice RAFM Imps (in German they would be called Kobold - for you D&D players out there).  

Now I just have to get crackin' and start painting!

13 comments:

  1. I would be interested to know how these minis scale with other manufacturers when you receive them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take some pictures of the various figures I have (Eureka, RAFM Citadel, The Scene) and do some comparison shots, once I receive the Venturans.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Buckeye- much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Eureka Minis USA is CRAZY fast! Placed my order four hours ago, and they already have sent tracking info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm painting some up at the moment. The first couple of fire teams had grey armour (like Zhodani) and now I'm painting a commando squad with dark grey, gunmental and black armour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will like them.

    I love mine. Great Zho when painted grey and black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, I think gray and black will be their paint schemes. Black base coat, some gray highlighting, a few other minors colors for equipment and weapons, and that should be about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Buckeye, have a look at Darkest Star Games they sell the 6mm Venturians & they now have the Venturian infantry platoon S'orhan LODAV GIFV on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up, Paul. Holding off on 6mm though, I am doing 15mm. But those IFVs look sweet!

      Delete
  7. The Venturans are fantastic looking miniatures so much so a few of us have started a Eureka miniatures 15mm 300 club offer to see who would like to see more differently posed Venturan's. Please follow this link and take a look of the thread over on TMP. Thanks zac http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=329977

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they look sharp! Been seeing your posts on TMP...I have held off on the 300 Club simply because those four poses, while needed, I am not certain will "work" for my project. And I would only order four total figures even if I did join the 300 Club effort!

      Delete
  8. In my last post above I left out that the new Venturian Infantry Platoon S'orhan LODAV GIFV from Darkest Star is in 15mm, either one or platoon of three.

    Just checked their website & it's not there after being there yesterday?! I'm sure that it will reappear soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...