Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Falklands Again!

When work seems to have an ill effect on me, I seem to go shopping.  Could be for books, could be for figures.  In today's case, it was for figures.  I've been eyeing those FireForce15 Falklands miniatures for some weeks, having previously talked myself out of buying them because a) they cost far more per figure than MJ Figures, b) they are probably not compatible with MJ Figures and the latter are 18mm in height, and c) Old Glory UK, who stocks the FireForce range, charges a decent amount more than MJ Figures do for shipping to the United States.  However, as I am in a buying mood today (thanks to work) I decided to order a few packs so that I can do a bit of a review in a future post here on the blog.  To that end, I ordered one pack each of the Argentinians, along with one half ton Landrover.  I would have ordered British as FireForce does make some figures that MJ does not (heavy weapons and mortars), but as my Falklands war gaming will be focused on the Royal Marines, and nearly every FireForce figure is wearing a helmet, I passed.  Perhaps one day they will make more figures wearing berets, perhaps not.

The Argentinian infantrymen are wearing M1 pot helmets, are carrying FN-FALs, and some have heavier coats on.  The command figures are in a variety of poses, including one using a radio.  The weapons packs seems to come with a sniper and spotter, a machine gun, and a figure firing a rifle grenade.  The .50 caliber pack comes with three guns and assorted crew, including one wearing his parka hood over his helmet.  The 81mm mortar pack comes with three mortars and crew.  And the Landrover comes with a soft-top.  Packs have twelve figures for infantry, and run $7.60 (making each figure .63 cents...ouch!).  I can buy MJ Figures for .42 cents a figure!

I also decided to two packs from Signifer Miniatures, based in Argentina.  They offer only two packs in their Malvinas range, which are apparently Argentinian special forces/commandos.  Their packs are (if I have my currency conversions correct) $4.07, making each figure (eight figure packs) .51 cents.  I am waiting on a shipping quote, which I know is not going to be cheap, but such is the sacrifice I make to be able to review these figures for you!  

Once I receive all these figures, I will post some comparison pictures with the MJ miniatures so as you can see the differences in these ranges.  Hopefully they will not be so great as to preclude use of the Argie heavy weapons.

2 comments:

  1. you've been liebstered
    http://stazmatt.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/liebster-come-at-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what that means, but seemingly you were nice enough to give my blog a bit of attention, and that is greatly appreciated!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...