Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Fox Hill - Rules and Order of Battle

Rules


With winter approaching I thought it might be a good time to start delving into my Fox Hill/Toktong Pass project.  Determining what rules to use will determine how to organize the forces, but in looking at the Marine strength on Fox Hill (239 men), it is apparent that a small scale set of rules will be needed.  I have played GDW's Command Decision rules numerous times but the scale in CD is too large - a player typically runs a battalion.  Fox Hill was one company, so I would like to have U.S. players command a platoon, so my stands will need to be fireteam to squads in size.  ODGW's Mein Panzer is organized on the squad, which means a player would have 4-6 stands to control.  That isn't bad, but I have never played Mein Panzer so I am not certain if a platoon is enough for a player to command.  I have the Korean War supplement for Mein Panzer, but haven't dropped the thirty bucks on the core rules.  Perhaps readers of this blog can share their thoughts about Mein Panzer.

I also have Fire in Korea supplement for Two Hour Wargames' Nuts! in pdf format.  It is a man to man scale gaming system.  This is too small of a scale as I do not want to paint up 239 Marines and thousands of Chinese.  However, it does have quite a bit of useful pieces I may incorporate into the scenario.

I have placed an order for MSD Games' Frontlines: Korea 1950-53.  It claims that a stand is a vehicle or a "fireteam" on up.  Scale wise that should be ideal, but I know nothing about this system to see if it is a viable choice for Korea let alone for teaching at a convention.

And another order just placed, based on a recommendation on The Miniatures Page, for Micro Melee.  Again purported to be a fireteam level game, the rule book consists of over two hundred pages, over sixty of which are rules.  That doesn't sound too simple to me, but as Fox Hill is an infantry fight with some supporting air and artillery, perhaps it will be simple enough to handle Fox Hill.

Marine Order of Battle

Using Mein Panzer as the basis of research, I come up with the following:

Company HQ, with
  • One command stand
  • Two carbine squads with 2.36" bazooka
  • 2.36" bazooka stand

Three Platoons, each with
  • One command stand
  • Three rifle squads with BARs
  • One rifle squad with 2.36" bazooka

Weapons Platoon, with
  • One command stand
  • Three MMG stands
  • Four HMG stands

Support Platoon, with
  • One command stand
  • Three 60mm mortar stands
  • Three 75mm recoilless rifle stands

Mortar Battery, with
  • One command stand
  • Six 81mm mortar stands
  • Three bazooka stands

Flamethrower Platoon, with
  • One command stand
  • Nine flamethrower stands
I will need to do some obvious digging into this suggestion OB as I do not recall any mention of flamethrowers nor recoilless rifles in the account I have of Fox Hill.  I could just have forgotten, but the temperatures were wreaking all sorts of havoc on the small arms and machineguns, not sure how effective a recoilless or flamethrower would have been.  

Regardless, it is the starting framework I am using, subject to modifications along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Actually I see no reason why you couldn't use Command Decision. Just adjust what a stand represents and just leave the rest of it alone. Use a Command Decision Battalion organization to represent a company should work just fine. You will just have to fine tune the organization a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - that is a pretty good idea! I've done that very thing for other rules, not certain why it didn't strike me here. I still want to see what Micro Melee and Frontlines can offer, but barring that, Command Decision, version 1 (the best IMHO) might be perfect!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...