Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Black Brunswickers

Federation troops - Picture from Darkest Star Games website
No, not Napoleonics, and yes, you did read that title correctly.  I am thinking up another sci-fi project, using the Darkest Star 15mm Federation and Venturian 15mm figures.  While there are a plethora of companies making excellent figures for 15mm sci-fi, I always like supporting the small guy, and as Darkest Star Games is a fairly small operation, one based in the United States, it should make delivery times short and shipping costs low.  And having participated in their Kickstarter campaign a couple years ago, I also know they make a quality product.

They do offer a few different items in 15mm with a wide range of figures and vehicles, but the Venturians and Federation troops I really like.  Obviously inspired by Traveller, I have seen others use the Venturians as Zhodani.  And the weapons mix gels with the Traveller/Striker universe with advanced combat, plasma, and Gauss rifles, along with other weapon types that Traveller players will recognize.  

And, as I have this affliction for the Black Brunswickers from the Napoleonic period due to a few factors (Germans, cool uniforms, a stubborn Duke, etc.), creating something that pays homage to the Schwarz Braunschweiger sounds like a very doable and enjoyable project.  Painting the Federation figures in a mostly black motif with highlights of light blue should be a fairly easy to knock out.  Still need to figure out some sort of death's head symbol but perhaps a small touch of paint on the helmet will work (unless I can find small decals...but I do not think I have the patience for small decals).

So I have gone forward and have ordered both Federation and Venturian infantry from Darkest Star.  Ordered on 6/15 at 8:00 p.m. EST - we will now test their speed of service!  I will have to say I did not like the $8.00 shipping charge for a handful of figures.  More to come on the figures, mounting, rules, and painting in future posts!


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a project on the Sci-Fi. I've been eyeing those Federation/Venturian figures for a while myself. I have some of their Spec-Sec and Colony 15 figures. And yeah, the Brunswick uniforms have always looked really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I pulled the trigger last night and placed an order! I figure that a primer coat of black, highlighted with a dark gray, steel weapons highlighted with silver, and find a suitable spot or two for their distinctive light blue should be good for the Federation figures. But that is another post!

      Delete
  2. ...and you picked the one day my office is all blocked up due to tearing up and replacing the floors! Talk about timing! ;P Your box will go out tomorrow though, so you should have the figs by Monday. (And thank you for your order!)

    I'm not a fan of the shipping costs either, but unfortunately there's a story that forced the cost: I used to ship at whatever the least expensive was for the order, then refund the shipping (i do still try to refund as much as possible). Sometimes this meant padded envelopes, sometimes small boxes. Then there was a strange series of missing packages, with 5 different fellas claiming their orders never arrived, some more than once. As they were spread across 3 states, and it didn't happen with every order of theirs I didn't think much of it other than being a bit consternated. Soon I learned that they were all in cahoots and had been bragging about how they were getting all this free stuff and taking advantage, essentially getting double what they'd paid for because all of it had arrived.
    Thus, I had to move to shipping almost everything in USPS Priority boxes. It gets there in good time for a flat rate, and the tracking is a bonus! No more "I didn't get its" when there is proof to be had.
    Now, the good thing about the Priority boxes is that a good deal can fit in the small ones, so even if the storefront charges the higher cost based on the amount of purchase I refund back to the lower level if it all fits in the small box! Win-win!

    Anyhoo, I think the Feddies will look good and mean in that scheme! Please do tell: what scheme do you have in mind for the Vents?
    (Rumor has it that a fed HQ section is in the works too...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has anyone compared your Venturians with Eureka Miniatures' Ventaurans? They look to be a very similar design.
      file:///home/robert/Pictures/Blog/300SCI10.jpg

      Delete
    2. They are quite similar. I know that the Eureka Venturians are large compared to the Eureka German sci-fi stormtroopers, I wouldn't even use them on the same table but I am picky like that. When I receive the DSG Vents I will take a shot or two comparing them to the Germans...if they are the same size I would NOT use them with the Eureka offerings.

      Delete
    3. I've been told that they blend very well together size wise, and one chap is using the two sets as showing differences in 'upgraded' vs 'older' equipment. The Eureka figures I had disappeared (read: walked away during a convention) before I started DSG, unfortunately.

      Delete
    4. I plan on snapping some pics of your Vents and the Eureka storm troopers in the next couple of days...if they blend, then I would say the Eureka Vents would be too large as they were nearly a full head taller with a bulkier look than the Eureka storm troopers.

      Delete
  3. My timing is excellent! :)

    Lovely jerks they are, the bastards! Give me their names and addresses and I will go on a bit of a bug hunt. LOL I understand your reasoning, and it is a shame you had to do that, but $8.00 for a small package...ouch! The post office does the $5.95 small box that includes tracking, perhaps for smaller parcels go that route and it would save us a couple of bucks and would still give you tracking info.

    I have an idea for the Vents...something with greens and browns dry-brushed to give a bit of a chameleon effect...I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, chameleon sounds good!
      It'd be nice if USPS didn't keep upping the cost of those Priority boxes. You don't even want to know what the shipping is to the UK now... But at least the USPS is still in business (for a while yet, anyways!)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am going to try to do some sort of multi-effect with the various shades of dry brushing, we'll see how it turns out. And I will admit, part of me wished I had waited until the FED HQ figs were available...I thought they might have been part of the infantry already since there are more Feds than Venturians in the basic infantry pack. Guess that means another order and perhaps a Vent vehicle as well. :)

      Delete
    3. I do like the idea of your Schwarzen Braunschweiger, in fact it has got me thinking about the flavour of my own universe.

      Delete
    4. Awesome! Always good to inspire! I think I am going to shoot for a 2300 AD setting, using the Tomorrow's War rules. To me, those weapons look advanced enough to say 300 years in the future, but not so far out there to be unrecognizable.

      Delete
    5. The Fed HQ is a bit of a ways out. You are correct though, the Feds Lift troops work on a different structure, with 3 squads working in conjunction with a trio of APCs and a pair of tanks, one of the APCs TCs being the platoon commander as they are used more as assault cav. The Vents, on the other hand, maintain an actual HQ element with their platoons as they tend to use their APCs primarily for insertion/transport and the tanks stay around with the infantry for support.

      So, the Fed HQ will be there more for the user being able to use the figures for more standard configurations rather than teh canned fluff one of the DSG line.

      Delete
    6. I will probably go with a different organization, but do want those Fed HQ figs once they come out. Are you able to tell me what the Vents are carrying in the picture above, left to right?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...